Frequently Asked Questions

Master of Industrial Relations (MIR)



  1. About the MIR Program
  2. Admission Qualifications
  3. Application Process
  4. Deferment and Reapplication
  5. Following Decisions
  6. Fees
  7. Financial Support
  8. International Students
  9. Other Questions


1. About the MIR Program

What is the MIR Program?

The MIR Program is a one-year, full-time Master of Industrial Relations program. The majority of applicants are recent university graduates who are looking to develop their skills and knowledge in Labour Relations and Human Resource Management.

May I begin my studies in January or May?

No.  The MIR program has just one intake period (each September). Core courses offered in the first term provide a foundation for winter and spring term courses.

Do you offer a PhD in Industrial Relations?

No.  At Queen's University we offer the academic program leading to the degree Master of Industrial Relations. [back to top]


2.  Admission Qualifications

(Additional information for International Students appears in a separate section at the end of this document)

I have some work experience. Will this positively affect my application?

If you have substantial and relevant employment experience, you may indicate this on your online application. Applicants with such a work profile should strongly consider the PMIR program designed for candidates with substantive work experience in this field. Admission to the MIR program is based on the criteria that is required and all applicants are measured on the same factors for admission.

Work experience can never be substituted for an academic standing that does not meet the University's minimum qualifications for admission to the School of Graduate Studies.

I have a post graduate certificate/diploma (CHRP, HRPAO, college). Will you consider this education when reviewing my admissions file?  

While applicants who have completed diploma/certificate programs must include this information in the application, only the final two years of study in your undergraduate degree will be used to calculate your competitive placement in the applicant pool.

I am very interested in enrolling in the MIR program but do not have a "B+" standing in my last two years of study. How can I improve my eligibility for admission?

Candidates who do not have a minimum upper second class standing in their last two years of university study should not apply to the program. The size and strength of the applicant pool means that they will not qualify for admission.

Individuals who do not meet the minimum academic qualification for admission must complete at least one additional year of post-degree studies, at the senior undergraduate or graduate level, preferably with a minimum "A-" (or 80 percent or 3.6 GPA) average standing.

I meet the minimum admission requirement for the MIR program. Will I be accepted?

Meeting the minimum admission requirement does not guarantee admission the MIR program. As we receive many more application than we have places, we must refuse qualified, but less competitive, candidates.

I have a three-year general bachelor's degree. Can I enroll as a qualifying student to complete the MIR program?

Admission candidates who do not have a four-year degree must complete an additional year of full-time study at the senior undergraduate or graduate level, earning a minimum upper second class standing to be considered competitive for admission. Post-degree studies can be completed at any accredited post-secondary institution recognized by the Association of Universities and Colleges and Canada (AUCC).

I am currently in my fourth year of an undergraduate program, therefore, my transcript shows grades for the first three years and some (or none) of my fourth-year courses. How will you calculate my average?

When submitting their application, most applicants are still enrolled in their final year of an undergraduate or graduate degree program. The Admissions Committee will then look at the candidate's last two years of full-time studies and their first term grades (when available)in their current year of study.

I have applied for admission to the MIR program and another graduate program at Queen's University. Do I need to submit two sets of transcripts and reference letters?

Yes. You must submit two copies of transcripts for each application that you submit to Queen's University. In addition, you must submit new letters of reference for each application. The Graduate School does not share application documents among departments.

I am a Queen’s undergraduate student. Will you get copies of my transcripts directly from the Registrar’s office or do I have to make arrangements to have transcripts sent to you?

Students who previously attended or currently attend Queen’s University will no longer be required to submit official transcripts from Queen’s University when applying for graduate study. When applicants indicate that previous study was undertaken at Queen’s University, a copy of their internal record and unofficial transcript will be printed and added to their application file by program staff.

Grades in my Master’s program are much better than at the undergraduate level. Can I be accepted to the program based on my Master’s degree grades only?

Grades in your Master’s degree program will be considered, in addition to your grades in your final two years of undergraduate study. The improvement in your grades will be noted positively. [back to top]



3. The Application Process

When is the deadline to apply?

In order to be considered for scholarships, applicants must apply by March 1st of the year they are hoping to begin the program. We do however, accept applications after March 1st.

I am not sure of my “Research Interests” at this time. Do I need to complete this section of the application form?

This section provides an opportunity for you to tell us about your specific interests. You do not need to complete this section, if you are interested in labour relations and human resources management more generally.
You may enter “To be determined” and proceed to the next question.

I have many labour relations and human resource management interests. How many should I list in this section?

Remember this is a professional, not research, graduate degree program. Sharing your general interests with us helps us to learn more about you and collectively may guide us in planning optional courses in future.

I am still completing my undergraduate degree program and do not have any professional work experience. How do I complete the section that asks for Professional Work Experience?

You may type “Not applicable” and proceed to the next question.

In the resume section, should I include all of my summer work experiences? I have had several jobs but none of them have been in relevant fields. Should I also include my volunteer experience?

In this section, you should provide us with information about your recent employment and volunteer experience (i.e. paid and unpaid work).  We are especially interested in knowing about summer or part-time employment, volunteer work and/or student leadership activities during the last three to four years (i.e. since university entrance).

How important is professional experience to winning a place in the program?

Academic standing is the primary criterion in our assessment of MIR candidates. Other activities, including work experience, volunteer roles and leadership activities, as well as the information provided by your referees help us to learn more about your strengths and capabilities. While not determinative to our admission, they are important as supportive documents.

When will my references be contacted?

The Graduate School will contact your references by email (if you provide this information on your on-line application) immediately following the formal submission of your application.

May I provide more than two references?

Yes. You may provide the contact information for a third reference but you only need two references.
Please advise your referees to check their email (“IN” and “JUNK” mailboxes) for the electronic reference form. They should receive this email soon after you submit your completed application.

By submitting your application early, your referees are more likely to submit their letters before the application deadline. This means that your application will receive earlier consideration.

My referees are having trouble completing the on-line reference form. Can you help?

For assistance in completing the reference form, please ask them to contact the Queen’s Graduate School by email at or by telephone at 613.533.6100.

What should I include in the statement of interest? How long should it be?

The statement of interest provides an opportunity for you to tell us more about yourself and in particular your reasons for wanting to enroll in the Queen’s MIR program. The statement should be approximately 250 words (and can be no more than 2000 characters).

What do I do if I have to submit more information than there is space provided in the on-line application?

Only in exceptional circumstances should you provide us with additional written information. In that case, you may send additional information to us at Please include your name or application number on each page.

Can I send my supporting documents before I submit my application?

Yes, you may send your transcripts and other supporting document prior to submitting the on-line application form. We will match them with your application when we receive your application. Please include your application number (if you have it) on all supporting documents.

What additional documents do I send and where do I send them?

In addition to the application form, you must submit:

1) two copies of your transcript from each university you have attended. You may, but are not required to, submit transcripts from diploma, certificate or other training programs.

2) two references, normally from professors with whom you have studied.

These documents should be mailed to: School of Graduate Studies, Gordon Hall, Room 425, Queen's University, Kingston, Canada K7L 3N6

I would like to apply online but my professors would like to send their reference in hard copy format. Do you accept references in letter format?

From the online application site, you may print off the standard reference form (as a .pdf) for your references to complete and submit to the address posted above. Referees may choose to include a letter with their reference form.

When can we expect notice of an admission decision?

Our goal is to provide notice of decision to MIR admission candidates (who have submitted a completed application) by April; however, we typically continue to consider applications beyond April and therefore notice of decisions may occur after April.

How will I know when you have received my transcripts and reference letters?

You may check the on-line application service to see what documents we have received, noting that it may take us a few days to update your status on-line at peak times in the winter months. If you do not see that your documents have been received after three weeks, contact us at [back to top]


4. Deferment and Reapplication

I have been accepted to the program but am unable to take your admission offer. Can I defer my admission to the next academic year?

The School of Graduate Studies does not defer admission offers. Candidates who do not accept an admission offer may reapply for admission at a future date.

We retain all applications on file for one year. If reapplying for admission within one year of their previous application, candidates may need only to submit a new application and application fee. On receipt of a new application, we will bring transcripts and letters of reference forward to the new application.

Candidates reapplying for admission after one year must submit new transcripts and letters of reference, and complete a new application and pay the application fee.

I declined your admission offer last year. If I reapply for admission, will I be accepted?

Candidates who receive an admission offer are normally competitive for admission in a subsequent year, although there can be no guarantee of admission in a future year. Some admission candidates may improve their competitive status, depending on how they spend the intervening period.

My application was refused last year, even though I met your admission requirement. Can I apply again this year? What are my chances of my being accepted this year?

You are welcome to reapply for admission. Before reapplying for admission, it is useful to consider whether you are able to provide new or additional information that will strengthen your application and improve your eligibility for admission. For example, if you previously applied while in your final year of another program and did very well in your final term, having your final grades for the first round review may be significant to improving your competitiveness for admission.

The size and strength of the applicant pool means that we must refuse many qualified candidates. If you just meet the minimum qualifications, were previously refused admission and have no new information to strengthen your candidacy for admission, it is less likely that we will make you an admission offer.

When making application, please try to include on the application form all the information that you think relevant to members of the Admissions Committee in considering your candidacy. [back to top]

5.  Following Decisions

I have previously taken courses that are replicated in the MIR program. Will I get credits for these?

If you accept our offer to join the MIR, we will review your transcript(s) in the summer prior to your enrolment to determine if you are eligible for an exemption from one or more of the required courses. You will be required to take a substitute course for any core course from which you have been exempted. More information on this will be provided with notice of your exemption status. [back to top]

6.  Program Fees

What is the tuition fee for the MIR program?

Full-time students pay tuition fees, student interest fees and the student assistance levy. Fees are due at the beginning of each term. MIR tuition fees for the academic year can be found on the Office of the University Registrar's website. [back to top]

7.  Financial Support

Am I eligible for financial support?

A limited number of entrance scholarships will be awarded to select applicants whom the Scholarship Committee deem to have the strongest overall application based on undergraduate marks, statement of interest, experience, and letters of reference. These scholarships vary in amount from $2,500 to $5,000.

How do I apply for financial support?

A separate application for scholarships is not required. All qualified candidates who submit a completed admissions application will be automatically considered for an entrance scholarship or other endowed awards held by the MIR program.

Are bursaries available from Queen’s University? How do I apply for bursary support?

Non-repayable grants are available to all Queen’s students who have a demonstrated financial need. This is based on, but not restricted to, the following factors: family income, number of dependents in the family, applicant’s assets (including savings), the full cost of the program of studies, books and supplies; and basic living costs.

Generally bursary recipients are also assessing other forms of assistance such as government loans or a personal student loan or line of credit. Further information and application form is available on the Office of the University Registrar's website.

Will indicating financial need on my application jeopardize my chances for admission to the MIR program?

No, not at all.

Are there special scholarships or other funding designated for International students? How do I apply? Are student loans available to International students?

International students are eligible for the same graduate fellowships and awards as are Canadian students. An application for admission to the full-time MIR program also constitutes an application for financial support from Queen’s University for International and Canadian students.

International students may also apply for bursary support and loans from Queen’s University on the same terms as others. [back to top]

8.  Of Special Interest to International Students

I do not have Internet access or a credit card to pay the application fee. Can I still apply for admission to the MIR program?

In either of these circumstances, you may submit a paper application, accompanied by a cheque or money order payable to Queen’s University. To receive a paper application, please send a request with your mailing address to us at:

What additional documents are needed to complete my application?

These additional documents are required:

1) Two copies of your official transcript from any post-secondary institution(s) attended

2) Two academic letters of reference in electronic or hard copy on the forms provided

3) Comprehension of the English language

At Queen's, English is the language of instruction and communication, except for the language departments. Proficiency in English is, therefore, a prerequisite for admission. Those applicants whose native languages do not include English will be required to obtain satisfactory standing in an English Language Proficiency Test as part of the application process, and before final acceptance is granted. Students must provide evidence of their proficiency in English, such as a TOEFL score (minimum 250 on the computer-based test or 600 on the paper-based test completed within the last two years), IELTS (7.0) or equivalent MELAB

I have one original copy of my transcript from a previous university and will not receive another copy. Can I send you a photocopy?

Photocopies of transcripts or other supplementary documents are not acceptable. If you are unable to provide an official transcript, you may provide a certified or notarized copy of the original document(s).

My transcript is not in English. Is it still acceptable?

All supplementary documents must be in English. Documents originally prepared in another language must be translated and submitted with certification that the translation is a true copy.

Can I apply first and then take the TOEFL test?

If English is not one of your first languages, you should provide notice of your demonstrated proficiency in English at the time of your application. We will not review any application until this information has been provided. Please visit the School of Graduate Studies website for information on English comprehension requirements.

Who do I contact to write the English Language and GRE/GMAT tests?

For TOEFL information, please contact:

What is your institution/school code for submitting my TOEFL?

The institution/school code for TOEFL is 0949.

Further information for International students, is available on the School of Graduate Studies’ website[back to top]

9.  Other Questions

If you have other questions, please send them to us